Norway Opera House

The road was getting tiring. Other than a bathroom break in IKEA in Sweden — “IKEA was founded there! We have to stop,” said my mom, where we bought some amazing strawberries (“These were as good as the ones in Lithuania,” my mom exclaimed),  the road remained sadly uneventful. Still, we had only been in Norway for around 3 hours. 

We called our host, telling her that we were here so that she could give us access to the house. The old woman that lived there showed us the house, which was a little haphazard and claustrophobic, but very comfortable, and I wasn’t about to fuss about a nice bed and a chance to rest after a nice, relaxing (totally) seven-hour drive.

 One thing I was exceptionally happy about was the piano in the sitting room. I could experiment with my melodies, and try to play a few tunes. Tired from the drive, we went to sleep later. 

The next day, I was ready to see the city. “What are we going to do in Oslo? What’s there? Is there anything really special?” I wondered.

And I was left wondering.

As the capital of Norway, Oslo would certainly have government buildings, and probably a good amount of palaces in the mix too. I was expecting a lot of coffee shops and modern shops where everyone was updated with all the latest trends, as the whole country is really rich and modern. 

The first problem, though, was transport. The woman that lived there was nice enough to show us the bus stop, a modern sheltered cubicle. I was able to get a window seat on the bus, and from my vantage point, I could see how small Oslo really is. It’s five times smaller than Paris, not even accounting for Paris’s sprawling suburbs. 

Oslo’s downtown has a modern look, only broken up by the occasional reminder of its history – a statue commemorating the Norwegian rebels that fought the Nazis in World War 2, the infrequent building from the 1900s, or a tourist attraction. Oslo is rich and modern. From the large hill we were viewing the city from, I was able to make out the Skagerrak. The bus whizzed on, and after a few stops, I found myself in downtown Oslo. The city was clean and fresh, and walking around seemed like a good idea. We looked around at the shops, saw some gardens, and eventually discovered a big bus tour stand. We went there immediately, as it seemed right to go on a comprehensive tour for a city that we would only stay in for two days. My family all went up to the stand 

“Hello, are you interested in a big bus tour?” said the person at the desk

“Yes we are,” said my dad. “How should we pay?” (The price was listed on a banner at the table.)

“Credit card or cash, but if you pay with a credit card you get 10% off.”

I was confused. Didn’t he mean cash?

My father looked rather amused. He paid with the credit card and said, “Did you see that! In Norway, they try to modernize by giving discounts for paying with credit cards. I wonder what the discount should be for bitcoin.” He smiled. 

 I was surprised, just as my dad was, and wondered how many other things in Norway were exactly the opposite of how they were in the states. We looked at the map the person at the desk gave us and rushed off to the nearest stop. The big bus was just ahead of us, and as we ran through the crowds to get to it.

“Finally,” my mom said, panting,” We’re safe.” The cool air of Oslo seemed to keep our energy up. We boarded the bus, opting to go to the second floor.

“Here they are,” said my mom, breaking the silence while passing small, cheap, uncomfortable plastic earbuds that they always provide on these tours. I put on the earbuds and learned about the Norwegian resistance during WW2. 

When we were at one of the stops, my mom gave me the map that came with the tickets we got, which showed a tourist map of Oslo. “Guess what?” She told me, “We also got a boat tour with the ticket. The opera looks nice. I’ll set an alarm for the boat.” The bus began to move again. The topic shifted to Norse myth: how Thor got his hammer. 

Then the audio tour told us that we could see some Norse artifacts in a museum nearby. I looked out and saw that we were in a lightly populated area of the city, with farmland visible in the far distance. I was surprised Oslo was so small, and I was even more surprised when I found out there were farms less than a mile from the suburbs. We exited the bus and looked around for the museum. After a short walk, we arrived at an old fashioned barn-like building, like the others in the suburbs. 

After putting our bags in a locker, we entered the museum. My first reaction was amazement. In front of me was a fully-fledged Viking ship made of wood. I had underestimated the size of the ship, which was the size of a T-rex. We walked past the Viking ships and examined them closely. There were three Viking ships in the museum, which was very crowded. Being rooted to the ground meant that we couldn’t see the Viking ships very well at the moment, so there was a beeline to a platform by the walls. The problem was, the line there was five minutes long. I was curious to see if the top of the ships had been decorated, or if they were just carved wood. Answer: They’re undecorated. The only question left was where the rails were as there were no rails for the ship (that had survived), and that must have been perilous. We looked at the other ship, which was of a similar build: the sails were gone but the mast had persisted. Even here, there weren’t any rails. If this was deliberate, to make sure only the best seafarers stayed on the ship, then it would be a rather brutal tactic. There was still another ship to cover, and another two rooms to conquer before we needed to return to the big red bus. 

The bigger room, which was opposite to the room we were in (the one that contained the smaller Viking ship of the two) was a theater playing one of those documentaries commonly played in museums. I find them very interesting, as they usually have some good information in the movie, and also are very entertaining. The seats were getting filled in the darkened room, and the cold AC would be warmer if I were sitting down, so we rushed off to get a decent seat. Luckily, we came just after the previous film ended, and I had a clear view of the screen. Soon enough, though, the seats filled, and when the movie had started, which was a solid fifteen minutes later, the whole room was filled with people eager to see the documentary about the norse. After the movie, when the lights went back on, the room was filled with the chatter of many people’s remarks of the movie. I noticed some insubstantial pieces of battered wood surrounded by rails and glass. My father beckoned me to the wood and showed me a sign.

“Look at this,” he said

“What is it??” I replied, wondering what could be so important about a demolished bit of a tree. Then I remembered that we were in a Viking ship museum and that not all Viking ships might have survived the ages in one piece; the ones in the front didn’t: they had to be restored to be brought to this state.

Oh,” I said in realization, “This is the shipwreck of the third ship.” I was wondering where the other ship was; it was too big for the last room, and it didn’t appear to be in the theatre. It was interesting to read about how this final ship met its end, yet the grandeur of the previous two ships meant that the final one just didn’t receive the grand effect. We exited the room and went to the final room.

What’s in the fourth room? I wondered. I thought it might be some more shipwrecks, but when my senses came back to me, I knew that it would be some more Norse artifacts, because of all the glass boxes around the room. I looked at the silver, gold, and rubies there, and thought that here, gems and gold might not be as valuable as little lumps of wood.

We exited the building after that, and just after we left, I saw a petite crowd and immediately wanted to see what it was all about. I went past the concrete, saw what they were looking at, and examined the grass, and there it was! A robot lawnmower. I’d heard of robot vacuum cleaners, but this was a whole different thing. My parents had come by too to tell me to get to the station with them, and I showed them the robot. 

“I wish we had one of those in our house,” remarked my mom “They’d save so much money.”

My dad thought it was cool too, and we rushed off to the bus; we just made it in time.

We weren’t done with museums for the day, however, as when the audio guide told us about a Norse museum, we weren’t about to refuse.  It’s name is Arktis Museum, and it’s nearer to the center of the city, so we entered a four-floor apartment instead of a two-floor museum.

Arktis is less focused on artifacts, which were there, and more focused on the exhibitions which showed how people lived in many regions of Scandinavia. For example, one of my dad’s favorites was one that showed the life of the average Sami, the indigenous group that lived in Northern Scandinavia/Russia. It featured a model Igloo and was enlightening. I had a little less interest in Arktis museum, however, because the Norse ships were so much more captivating for me. Seeing the real thing was just a little more interesting than looking at a model. We left Arktis after a very little time, and instead moved on to Palace Park

Palace Park is a palace, as the name implies. It surrounds the royal palace, where the king lives. We climbed up the numerous steps with the crowd, and eventually, we reached a gravel base, from which we got great views of the city. After viewing the yellow double winged building, we explored the gardens, and viewed a changing of the guards. The rigid movements and discipline of the soldiers were contrasted by the unorganized and chaotic twists and turns of the tourist crowd surrounding me. 

But we had to leave; we were almost too late for the boat ride, which was going to be a very interesting perspective on Oslo. We were at the dock, and we made it in time. The ship was going to take us around the city harbor, with the earbud tour included. I’d gone on a similar tour just a week or so before, when we visited Finland, and we were looking at a star fortress, and we even got to see a submarine on the island. Therefore, I was hyped up for an amazing tour. 

The history of Norway was fascinating, with its Vikings and empire, but I didn’t want to hear every single detail about it. It would probably put me to sleep. Instead, I unplugged my earbuds and examined the wonderful city on my left and the beautiful Skagerrak on my right. The only thing we could hear was the buzz of the ship’s engine and the distant audio guide from my headphones, which I’d kept on me so that I could pop them on whenever I wanted to. The view was amazing, and the city was cool, but the highlight of the boat trip was the opera. It was so modern and unique. We stared at the opera house for a while, took some photos, and tried to take it all in before the boat got away from the opera at a snail’s pace.  We exited the ship, and I was relieved to use my feet once more.

“Good tour, right,” I said, walking down the boardwalk with my parents. The sun hadn’t gone down yet, because the sun sets at about ten o’clock in northern Europe; when we went to Iceland, we witnessed a fifteen-minute night, but it felt like it was past ten in the evening by the amount we accomplished so far. 

“Yes,” said my dad. We headed for the center of the city, where there would be benches to rest our tired feet, and the bus stop was there, too. 

“We need to go because your mom needs to do some work,” my dad said. We went to the bus stop, and after our trip home, my mom hooked up to the network and waited. The wifi there was so slow that the computer that she was using wasn’t able to get to Google Chrome. We needed another solution. After some consideration, we drove to the nearest restaurant, which was a pizza place, parked our rental car there, and my mom worked. 

In the meantime, we needed to get some food and entertain my sister, who was two years old. The pizza place was owned by a Pakistani who made a special pizza for us. My dad recognized it, as he is from India. It smelled amazing with many more spices than in a normal Italian pizza, and a lot more vegetables too. The classic pizza looks bland in front of its face. I tasted it, and I loved it. It was just a little spicy, but aromatic and rich. After finishing one of the best pizzas of my life, we headed towards the playground, which we’d spotted when we came to the Airbnb. The playground was really small, but I tried to entertain myself with what I had. After a long time, my sister got tired, my mom’s work finished, and we needed to go home. The day was over, and I’d enjoyed all the things I’d done that day. I was looking forward to tomorrow as I slipped into bed, a blanket on me, my body warmed up for some rest.

The morning went in a flash. Before I knew it, we were waiting to cross the road, and get into the gas station. I went with a start, and rushed off to the bus stop, because I couldn’t wait for the bus to come. In retrospect, it was a very bad idea, as I fell, and that might have ended horribly. I got up with only a bleeding leg, and on top of that my mom was furious.

My dad stopped and told us where we were going.  “Today we’re visiting the Nobel Peace Prize center, and we need to do some shopping for jackets. We’re going to the fjords tomorrow.” I had trouble containing my emotions. On one hand, we were going to the fjords, which Norway was famous for, but on the other hand, we were going to spend hours of the day shopping for clothes, and knowing my parents, they’d want to get the best deal possible. 

“So the Nobel Prizes are given away in Norway??” I questioned. “Wasn’t Alfred Nobel from Sweden or something?”

“Yes, but back then, Sweden had a massive empire, and the nation wouldn’t be a good place to give out peace prizes”

“Ah,” I let out.

We were at the Peace Prize center relatively quickly, and we were about to see what was in it. The outside of the building might have been impressive on another day, but now it appeared shabby and very ugly: there was some construction going on at the moment, and the building looked quite small when compared to the skyscrapers and high-rises above us. I entered the building having doubts about how much use this would be, but it was the Nobel Peace Prize center, so it had to have something. 

The first floor was amazing. It was about climate change, and how we could try to stop it. I wasn’t as interested in the posters and videos, however, as I was in the wonderful scientific equipment there. I was really happy to see some experiments (involving plants) and it was hard for me to control my curiosity(“Wow is that a chemical experiment!!”). I don’t remember it fully, but all the gadgets and stuff were hard to come by anywhere else(It reminded me of the large hadron collider because of all the tech). We saw a sign for a second floor, and so my mom went up to see if it was any good. After coming down, she told me that the floor wasn’t for kids. We went to the exit, where there was a gift shop. I saw a Scandinavian game on one of the tables, and it said it was quite like chess but with different rules, and the fact that it’s played on a 9×9 board. I had been getting better at chess for a while and this only increased my curiosity for the game. 

I would have time later to play games, but now we needed to go and buy the clothes. I dreaded wasting time in other countries, but for more than an hour was treason. I wanted to see the rest of the city so badly, but I knew that it wouldn’t change their mind. We were going to the fjords, we needed a jacket, and we were going to get it, no matter what. 

The first store was hyper-expensive. It didn’t have good enough prices anywhere. It was also a high-quality store. I was amazed by the tents there and the camping equipment, but since we were in Norway, it was too expensive. So were the other two stores we went to. They were of a similar build, and going through the clothes, one at a time was such a strenuous and redundant task, that I decided to quit by the second store. The fourth store we went to was better. It had some decent prices, and there was even a sale., but it wasn’t cheap enough. On the way to the exit, my sister and I spotted something. 

“Look! A tri-wheel scooter!”I exclaimed. I wanted a scooter because then I’d be so much more portable, and could travel much farther. My sister loved the scooter too. In a matter of minutes, she was able to figure out how to turn, which I was impressed by, considering she was only two year old. 

“Should we get it?” my mom asked. But in the end, we decided not to get them. Shipping the scooters from Norway to America would be a total nightmare, and we didn’t want any extra luggage.  I was sad about that, but we couldn’t wait anymore.

After shopping for what seemed like a few days, we left with a red and blue jacket for me, my sister’s hooded purple and light-blue husk of warmth, and my mom and dad’s light, modern jackets. They were comfortable and cheaper than the rest, but we’d spent so much time looking for them that we weren’t able to see anything else for the entire day. My mom had to work for another night, so it was back to the car for her, and back to the playground for us. Worn out, I exited the building with my dad and my sister and trekked past the slightly hilly landscape of suburban Norway.       

I had no dreams that night. I was in complete darkness for what seemed like ten blissful minutes.

“Wake up! We need to get to the fjords quickly!” my mom said.  

“Coming!” I responded. We left some of the bags at the Airbnb, because we were still renting it. We didn’t plan to go to the fjords, but because we’d already seen most of the tourist attractions in the city, a trip north was a good option. We’d left our bags before, too, especially on those one or two day mini-trips that usually weren’t planned. The first one of those trips was one to Split, Croatia; the second was to Barcelona, Spain. The final one was to Athens, Greece, and they were all really good trips. Therefore, I was quite excited to be going to another one. The beginning of the drive wasn’t memorable. The monotonous streets, roads, and forests of the suburb and the highway were not to be marveled at. I fell asleep before the break of dawn, and my sister was asleep before we even got the car started. Meanwhile, my parents were much more awake. I suspected their secret to success was coffee, but I didn’t have access to such liquids. When I woke up, I was met by a totally different scene. Mountains, hills, and rivers. Were we at the fjords?

My sister woke up, and we decided to stop. She needed to go to the bathroom, and the only stop in about twenty miles was there. At the entrance to the gas station we were stopping at, there was a bear structure, which appeared menacing against the landscape. Even if there was a real grizzly bear in the mountains here, I’d want to get out and see the mountains, but my parents were too busy at the moment. After my sister was done, we drove on, my dad now discussing our experiences so far with me and my mom. 

“The Viking ships were amazing,” he said, putting them at the top of the list. After that came the museum with all of the culture-based exhibits, then came a tie; the opera house and the Nobel Peace prize center were equally rated. He didn’t mention the activity we spent the most time on though; shopping for clothes. “From what I’ve seen in photos, though, the fjords should be at first by the end of the first hour there,” he concluded. I disagreed with him. The fjords were good enough to be in first already if the trio there had scenery good enough for any travel magazine.

We passed a mile marker, then another. My eyes hung on to them because I knew that for every mile, we were so much closer to our destination. Many flew by until something distracted my focus. I saw a sign for a crater. It said there was a crater in a park nearby, but it was the type of sign you might see on a road trip that advertises World’s Biggest Piece of Popcorn. First ticket free! Those attractions are usually actually tourist traps. A few miles passed as we discussed it.

“Do you want to see it?” said my dad. For a moment, I paused in thought.

“I don’t know,” I replied. I wanted to see it, but there was a fee, and I didn’t know if it was worth it to spend the money.

“Answer yes, or no. Not maybe,” he insisted.

“Yes,” I said.

Following the specified direction, we saw the parking lot. It was completely empty. To be fair, it was seven o’ clock in the morning, so maybe they weren’t here yet. We looked around for any tickets, but it said it was closed. 

We came back onto the main road, and there was still no traffic. Because they were so remote, the mountains we were looking at were probably mainly crossed by tourists, and not locals. The only other people that could be there were truckers, and they weren’t going to go to a place that saw so little cargo. This meant that there were little to no cars on the route, especially considering the time of day, and so we were able to continue on at superspeed. Unfortunately, on that road, speed was a bad thing; you got a much worse view of whatever was there. We passed a few waterfalls, infinite mountains, a few lakes, a bit of snow, and a lot of photogenic scenes. Past the monotonous, yet fascinating green we went, rising in altitude by the minute. On the way we saw a church. 

“It’s a Stavic church,” my dad pointed out. His face lit up when he saw it, and I knew that he must have been anticipating seeing one. They weren’t like any other church I’d ever seen. A strange combination of halloween Victorian Mansion and foreign design, the dark outside of the church looked menacing, yet it also resembled the temples in Japan in a unique way. It was all so breathtaking in a moment when I thought there was nothing left to see there. We passed the church at lightning speed and continued to the

 The next big change to the road didn’t come until we were about fifty miles away from the final destination, which was just some random location in the fjords; we hadn’t booked a hotel for a night yet. The terrain became rough and mossy; we were at such a high elevation that trees didn’t grow. I felt like a Viking, on the cold, mossy lands, and looking at the lands that they touched so many centuries ago energized me. The height of the mountains was amazing. They were so tall that I couldn’t even see the tip of the peak, and I gazed up at them as we passed the barren lands. Soon we were looking at even bigger mountains, heaps of ice and snow, and giant lakes. In short, we were at the fjords. 

My first reaction was shock. The fjords were beautiful, but not in the way that is posted on Instagram. Instead of an icy wonderland, we were in a frozen taiga, growing amok with moss and lichens, but seldom wood crossed its path. The mountains that were there were frozen, uninhabitable deserts of snow, but under their legs were creatures, though few were in stock. It was a beautiful place, and we stopped to take some pictures.

“Wow,” my mom said, completely amazed. I looked around at the mountains, and my mom brought her camera out. I walked to the edge of a lake, and felt something cold and crunchy: snow. 

“There’s snow here! I’m touching snow in the middle of summer!” I exclaimed. After visiting Rome for a week, surviving in ninety degree temperatures, and going back home to eighty, snow seemed less likely than the dinosaurs coming back. For a split second, my mind was focused on snow and only snow. I touched the frozen crystals, and was transported to winter. 

“Don’t touch the snow,” my mom scolded. “Your shoes will get wet.” 

I remembered where I was and said, “Sorry.” I looked around at the wonderful lake and took it all in. We gathered around for a picture, and that time, my smile wasn’t fake (not that the places that I go to aren’t amazing, but I just get tired of smiling sometimes). I was truly in awe.

After gazing at the mountains for what seemed like an eternity, my mom called me “Come in the car, we need to see other places.” I was almost sorry to leave the scenery, but I reminded myself that we were here to see mountains and fjords, and that it would be a while before we really left the fresh air of Norway. I looked around at the mountains, and wished I had at least ten more heads. There was too much to see. I wanted to see the wildlife there, and tried to focus, but a second later, my attention was diverted to a wonderful landscape of an icy lake and a barren field, under the feet of a glaring mountain which was so high, you barely could see the mountains ahead in the fog. We moved on, and after a while, we stopped again. It never got tedious. After about an hour searching the nearby landscape for something memorable, we had to accept that there was simply too much to see in one day. We came up with a plan.

“There is a really big waterfall here that I’d really like to see,” said my dad. Since he did most of the preparation, we decided to go to the waterfalls and see what was there, but before we did any of that, we needed to get a place to stay for the night. On the way to the waterfall, my dad booked somewhere for us to stay, and we drove on. The waterfall was called Voringfossen, and it was beautiful in a different magnitude. The waterfall went into the valley, which went into the trees absolutely perfectly. It was like being in a movie. 

Of course, we weren’t going to leave a tourist attraction without a photo, and sure enough, we took photos from about ten different angles. We managed to get a family photo, which is always the hardest for us, because my sister almost never cooperates unless the weather is nice, she’s fed, and she has to be in a good mood, all for a single photo. Of course we also have to take singles and stuff like that, so it almost always takes an hour for us to visit any attraction. Due to the time consuming nature of traveling, though, you can get the chance to see some things that you wouldn’t expect to see. One example of this occurred during the drive home. Everyone was commenting on the views of the valley and the waterfall, and I was looking out of the window, not wanting to miss out on sightseeing opportunities, and my dad was driving, so everyone was able to get a good view of the landscape. It was pretty similar for most of the drive, because it was the same mossy plateau as the one that we encountered while getting into the fjords. 

“We’re in Eidfjord, remember that,” said my dad. Then he asked me if Eidfjord had to do with Eid, an Islamic holiday. Of course, I knew that he was joking, but answered anyway.

“Of course not.” I said, though my mind wasn’t fully on Eid, nor Eidfjord. I peered at the window and saw the most peculiar sight.

“Does that house have a grass roof?” I said. I’d read about these roofs, and how they were supposedly environmentally friendly, but I didn’t see how. On the other hand, the house looked epic. 

“Yes,” My mom said, curious at once, “I wonder why.”

Looking at the houses was nice, but we actually took a detour after that, because we needed to see a glacier that my dad heard about.

“It’s supposed to look really good,” he said.

Since his recommendations are usually superb, my heart leapt. One nice sight like that, and we might have to call off the trip entirely. It would be impossible to be impressed by any natural thing after that. We came to the glacier, and it looked worse than I was expecting. I was seeing a rather small mountain, but my dad said that the glacier might be behind. Unfortunately, my sister wasn’t able to handle the wind, so she and my mom had to stay in the car. My dad and I climbed up the mountain, which was actually the size of a large hill, and hiked up. The trek was a little more precarious than I expected, because of the ice, wind, and water of the melting snow. After climbing the hill, we saw the glacier, but the bad news was it was really far away. We were already shivering from our cold socks, and going down there seemed like a bad idea. Instead, we settled for a picture or two at the top. After the pictures, we climbed down, but on the way,  I almost knocked down a pile of three carefully balanced rocks. Why is this there?, I thought, but I was far behind my dad, and I didn’t want to be late.

The final thing that we saw that day was a dam. On the way back to whatever place my dad booked, there was an enormous dam. Spanning maybe a fifth of a mile, it was a miracle I could see the other end. Central Norway isn’t really known for industrial strength, but looking at the river, I understood why one would like to make a dam there. One side of the river was filled up to the dam’s brim. The other side, which was at least a hundred feet below, was almost empty. The hydroelectric power generated by this dam may have powered the nearest 500 square miles, because there were little to no people inhabiting it away from the highways. My dad walked to the stretch of land separating the two masses of water.

“What are you thinking!” admonished my mom, but he just came back onto solid land.

After snapping a few pictures at the dam, we decided to leave. The dam isn’t very photogenic, and therefore, we left right after looking around. I’d never seen a dam before that, but I had to admit, they weren’t too amazing, but on the other hand, they were so big that I had to be impressed. Looking at a major structure for the first time in your life isn’t so amazing as it’s cut out to be. 

We drove to the place we were staying in, following the GPS, and made sure not to miss any exits. After following the right directions, we reached our destination, a camping site.

If I had known that we weren’t camping, then my reaction would have been different, but camping wasn’t something that I wanted to do. We had been on the road for too long, and I needed a rest, and a hotel would’ve been a hundred times better, I thought.

“We’re going camping?” I asked, bewildered.

“No, we’re staying in a cabin,” said my dad. “They’re at the back.”

I scanned the grounds for cabins, and just as he said, there was a cabin at the back. “Oh,” I said. Now that my initial worries were allayed, I enjoyed the camping site. We would have heating, bathroom, running water, kitchen, and comfy beds, all while enjoying a captivating scene ahead. The perfect juncture of mountain and lake rested here; there was no questioning that. We got the keys, and I rushed into the cabin. It was a small place, with a sofa-bed in one room, and a bunk-bed in another, and another small room for the shower. It was a wonderful little house, and how spacious it felt when the only indoors I had access to for the whole day was the BMW SUV full of luggage from a country halfway across the world. I relaxed, and we slept in the house for a restful night. 

I was so thankful that the cabins had running water and a bathroom. The people that were camping had to wait to take a bath. They also had communal toilets.. We left the camp site, and looked around at our surroundings for one last time. It would be a few long hours until I felt pleasure. We looked as hard as we could through those majestic mountains and tried to paste them in our memory. We knew that it would be our only comfort in the long trip to Oslo.

For some reason, going back to somewhere always seems to take less time than coming there. This was the first time I was sad that the drive went faster.  

I slept through the next night. On the day, we would have to move camp, yet again, this time to Sweden. I imagined something like Oslo and thought, maybe we should go somewhere farther north next time, because I enjoyed the fjords so immensely. I heaved a huge sigh, and we left the amazing city of Oslo. We had a long journey ahead.


  • Make sure to take a drive to the Fjords, since they are best in Norway. 
  • Try Scandinavian strawberries: They’re better than the American berries.
Nobel Peace Prize Center
Viking Ship Museum
Waterfalls in Norway

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *